Paper Mache Masks
I taught a two part session for Teaching Assistants as a few of my friends in the industry had asked for a little help coming up with a fun craft activity for their primary School students (they all work on a 1:1 basis). So I offered a two session course at a local community centre and taught a variety of people how to create simple, paper mache masks.
I took them through a step by step process:
- Cutting a basic cardboard shape for the face base
- Adding features using scrunched up newspaper and sellotape
- Covering in paper mache (I used kitchen roll and PVA glue)
- Painting a base layer of colour
- Finally adding painted details
Each of them took away a copy of the guide, so they could repeat the activity with their own students. They also produced their own mask each.
It was a really fun lesson and I had some wonderful feedback from the students.